Hindi Alphabet All about Hindi Varnamala , Hindi letters
Introduction – Hindi Alphabet
Hindi is one of 23 official languages of India , and is reported to be the fourth most commonly spoken language in the world . According to the current circumstances , Hindi is not only used as the mother tongue by 80cr and used as second language by 30cr in India but also used by 10cr speaker outside of India . Being a flexible and simple , it has richest vocabulary among the languages of the words . Hindi , a language of Indo Aryan belongs to the Indo- European language family .
About Hindi Alphabet ( Hindi Varnamala )
Hindi Language is collection of alphabets called Varn and this collection of varns is called Varnmala ( Hindi Varnamala ).
Hindi is written in the Devanagari script, which is made of two Snaskrit words: Deva, meaning ‘God’ and Nagari, meaning ‘of urban origin’. Devanagari has its origin in Brahmi script. Writings in Brahmi script from across the Indian subcontinent date back to the 5th century BC. More than ten Indian languages have evolved from Brahmi.
Hindi is read from left to right and written with spaces between words . However , the letters which make up a word often combine and when the letters join together they sometimes change form . In Hindi there is a definite correspondence between spelling and pronunciation .
About Devanagari script :
Devanagari is part of the Brahmik script family of India , Nepal , Tibet , and South – East Asia . This script is superior to other existing scripts because each Devanagari character represents either combination of a consonant and a vowel or a vowel and consonant itself . Its consonants are normally considered to have a basic form which consists of a consonant pronounced with an inherent ‘ a ‘ sound similar to the vowel sound in the English words . In other words each its character normally represents a complete syllable.
Why learn Devanagari ( Hindi alphabet )
Devanagari is relatively easy to learn because it is largely phonetic , that is to say that mostly the script is a representation of the actual sounds . The sounds of spoken Hindi are generally written in Devanagari script , which is also used to write Sanskrit , Nepali , and Marathi.
How many letters in Hindi Alphabet
The Hindi alphabet has 45 letters according to pronunciation. There are 10 vowels and 35 consonants. And There are 52 letters based on writing. It has 13 vowels, 35 consonants, 4 combined consonants, and 2 binary consonants.
Hindi is spoken using a combination of 52 sounds . These sounds are represented in the Devanagari script by 52 symbols.
Hindi Varnmala that can be divided into main two categories namely :-
- Vowels ( स्वर )
- Consonants ( व्यंजन )
Vowels and consonants together are called Akshars . Along with pure consonants the language consists of partial consonants which are called ardha – akshar and conjunct consonants.
Hindi Alphabet – Vowels ( स्वर )
Vowels are called swar ( स्वर ) in Hindi .
Vowels have two forms : an independent Vowels used when a vowel stands at the beginning of a syllable and a dependent Vowels used for a vowel immediately following a consonant.
Independent Vowels :-
Dependent Vowels :-
There are total of 11 vowels which are divided into two parts based on pronunciation :-
- Short Vowels : The vowels that take minimum time in pronunciation . These are also called MoolSwar or HasvSwar in Hindi . These are 4 in count out of 11 vowels :- अ , इ , उ , ऋ
- Long Vowels : The vowels that take twice the time than those of short vowels in Pronunciation . These are also called SandhiSwar or DiraghSwar in Hindi . These are 7 in count out of 11 vowels :- आ , ई , ऊ , ए , ऐ , ओ , औ
Hindi Alphabet – Consonants ( व्यंजन )
Consonants are also called vyanjana ( व्यंजन ) in hindi . They are normally considered to have a basic form which consists of a consonant pronounced with an inherent ‘a’ sound.
The table below shows 36 consonant letters and their pronunciation.
Hindi ALPHABET chart A Complete Hindi Varnamala Chart
Hindi Alphabet in English
Sometimes there is a problem in pronouncing Hindi alphabets or Hindi alphabets, however, we have made it easy for you because the chart below displays the pronunciation of Hindi alphabets along with English letters. Teach your child the correct pronunciation of Hindi alphabet.
a aa in hindi , hindi a aa
|Hindi & English sound|
|अ||a||अनार ( Pomegranate ) – Annar|
|आ||aa||आम ( Pomegranate ) – Aam|
|इ||i||इमली ( Tamarind ) – Imalee|
|ई||ee||ईख ( Sugarcane ) – Eekh|
|उ||u||उल्लू ( owl ) – Ulloo|
|ऊ||oo||ऊन ( Wool ) – Oon|
|ऋ||ri||ऋषि ( sage ) – Rishi|
|ए||e||एक ( One ) – Ek|
|ऐ||ae||ऐनक ( specs ) – Aenak|
|ओ||o||ओखल ( okhal ) – Okhal|
|औ||ao||औरत ( Woman/Lady ) – Ourat|
|अं||an||अंगूर ( Grapes ) – angur|
|अः||aha||अहंकार ( ego ) – Ahankaar|
|क||k||कमल ( Lotus ) – Kamal|
|ख||kh||खरगोश ( Rabbit ) – Kharagosh|
|ग||g||गमला ( Flowerpot ) – Gamlaa|
|घ||gha||घंटा ( Hour ) – Ghanta|
|च||ch||चम्मच ( Spoon ) – Chammach|
|छ||chha||छतरी ( Umbrella ) – Chhatri|
|ज||ja||जहाज ( Ship ) – Jag|
|झ||jha||झरना ( Waterfall ) – Jharna|
|ट||ta||टमाटर ( Tomatoes ) – Tamatar|
|ठ||thh||ठेला ( Trolley ) – thhela|
|ड||da||डमरू ( Damru ) – Damru|
|ढ||dh||ढक्कन ( Lid ) – Dhakkan|
|त||ta||तरबूज ( Watermelon ) – Tarbuj|
|थ||tha||थरमस ( thermos ) – Tharmas|
|द||d||दवाई ( Medicine ) – Dawai|
|ध||dha||धनुष ( Bow ) – Dhanush|
|न||na||नल ( Tap ) – Nal|
|प||p||पानी ( Water) – pani|
|फ||pha||फल ( Fruit ) – phal|
|ब||ba||बकरी ( Goat ) – Bakri|
|भ||bha||भालू ( Bear ) – Bhallu|
|म||ma||मकड़ी ( Spider ) – Makdi|
|य||y||यज्ञ ( Yajna ) – Yag|
|र||r||राम ( Ram ) – Ram|
|ल||la||लट्टू ( Latto ) – Latto|
|व||v||वन ( Forest ) – Van|
|श||sha||शलजम ( Turnip ) – Shaljm|
|ष||shha||षट्कोण ( Hexagon ) – Shhatkon|
|स||sa||समय ( Time ) – Samay|
|ह||ha||हवा ( Air ) – hawaa|
|क्ष||ksh||क्षमा ( Forgiveness ) – Kshama|
|त्र||tri||त्रिशूल ( trident ) – trishul|
|ज्ञ||jna||ज्ञान ( Knowledge ) – Gyan|
Hindi Alphabet – Fun Facts About Hindi
- Hindi is the 4th most – spoken language in the world ! ( Mandarin , Spanish , and English are 1st , 2nd , and 3rd , respectively . ) Over 500 million people speak Hindi worldwide .
- Hindi , like many other Indian languages , has its roots in the Sanskrit language – one of the oldest languages in the world !
- There are no capital letters in Hindi !
- Hindi is written in the Devanagari script – which is recognizable by a horizontal line that runs along the top of most words . Hindi is not the only language that is written in the Devanagari script . This script is also used for over 120 other languages !
- You can buy Hindi typewriters and keyboards !
- Kids can also watch Sesame Street in Hindi ! Galli Galli Sim Sim is the Hindi – language adaptation of Sesame Street . The show is produced by Sesame Workshop India .
- Bollywood , the name given to India’s Hindi – language movie industry , is one of the largest centers of movie – making in the world ! Bollywood is based in the city of Mumbai , which used to be called Bombay ( hence the name ) .
- Many English words have actually been borrowed from Hindi . The words jungle , verandah , bandana , pajama , shampoo , punch ( the beverage ) , and avatar all come from Hindi !
- Hindi Varnamala ( हिंदी वर्णमाला ) All about Hindi alphabet , Hindi letters
- विलोम शब्द ( vilom shabd ) विलोम शब्द 2000+ opposite words in hindi
- Karak कारक – परिभाषा , कारक चिह्न , भेद और उदाहरण Karak in Hindi
- Alankar अलंकार : परिभाषा , भेद और उदाहरण Alankar in hindi
- समास की परिभाषा , भेद और उदाहरण Samas in Hindi
- Paryayvachi Shabd ( पर्यायवाची शब्द )
- Opposite Words , Opposite Words in English